With the holiday season in full swing, parents are starting to search for the perfect gift for their children. One popular item this year is light-up shoes. These shoes are a lot of fun and can make your child feel like a superhero or princess. But does all that fun come with a risk? Can light-up shoes catch fire?
When it comes down to it, up shoes can catch fire if they are not made well. Another major reason why light up shoes can catch fire is from poor storage conditions that can make the battery corrode and overheat.
In the rest of this article, we will explore the possible dangers of light up shoes and some important safety tips to keep your family safe.
Details On Why Light Up Shoes Catch Fire
1. Faulty Battery
First and foremost, one of the main reasons why light up shoes can catch fire is because of a faulty battery.
Most manufacturers of light up shoes use lithium-ion batteries, which have a tendency to overheat if they are not used correctly or made cheaply.
If the battery is damaged or overheats, it can easily cause a fire in the shoes. In fact, this was the main reason why a recall was issued for light up shoes from a certain company back in 2016.
The company had to issue a voluntary recall of their light up shoes because the battery in them could overheat and potentially catch fire.
So, if you are considering purchasing light up shoes for your child this holiday season, be sure to check that the batteries have been certified by a reputable organization like UL.
2. Small Wiring
Usually in an attempt to limit the electrical work, make the shoe a lot more comfortable and not bulky, some manufacturers will use small wiring in their light up shoes.
While this might help improve the overall design, weight, comfortability, and in most cases, save the company money upfront, it can lead to dangerous consequences down the road.
One of these dangers is that the wiring can easily overheat and start a fire. This was what happened in a recent incident in China where a child’s shoes caught fire.
Luckily, no one was harmed in this incident, but it could have been a lot worse had the child not acted quickly to remove his shoe and stop the fire from spreading even further.
3. Low Quality Materials
In order to meet high demand and cut costs, some companies choose to use low-quality materials in their products. A lot of the companies in China are said to use these low-quality materials, which can often lead to dangerous consequences.
One of these dangers is that the shoes can easily catch on fire. This has been seen in a few recent incidents where children’s light up shoes have caught fire.
In most cases, the fires start from the battery or wiring, but it is possible for the rubber on the soles of the shoes to start a fire as well.
This can be dangerous because it means that the shoes are more likely to overheat or catch fire.
While this might not seem like a big deal, at first sight, consider how many pairs of these light up shoes are being sold every day.
If even a small percentage of them catch fire, this can lead to some serious damage or injuries.
This is why it’s so important for parents to only buy light up shoes from reputable companies that use the highest quality materials in their products.
4. Worn Out Light Up Shoes
Another cause of fire in light up shoes is when they are worn out and the battery starts to leak.
This was what happened in an incident a few years ago where a child’s light up shoes caught on fire.
The child had been wearing the shoes for about two years, and the batteries had started to wear down.
Eventually, the battery acid started to leak out and corrode the wiring in the shoes. This caused a short circuit, which then led to the shoes catching on fire.
While it’s not as common as some of the other reasons why light up shoes catch fire, it is still something that parents should be aware of.
If you notice that your child’s light up shoes are starting to wear out, it might be time for new ones.
5. Storing The Light Up Shoes In Hot Places
If you store your light up shoes in a hot place, chances are that the batteries will overheat and catch fire.
This was what happened in an incident where a child’s light up shoes caught on fire after being left in his car for several hours during the summer.
The heat from inside of the vehicle caused the batteries to overheat and eventually catch on fire.
While it is possible for this to happen, it’s not as common as some of the other reasons why light up shoes can catch fire.
This is because most people don’t store their light up shoes in their car during the summer months. If you do, make sure that you store the shoes in a cool, dry place to prevent them from overheating and catching on fire.
6. Charging The Shoes Too Long
Another way that light up shoes can catch on fire is if they are charged for too long. A lot of the light up shoes are now chargeable via USB, and if you leave them plugged in for too long, some inferior quality ones can overheat and catch on fire.
When light up shoes are charged for too long, the batteries can overheat and eventually catch on fire. This can be caused by the wiring in the shoes, or even by the battery itself.
It’s important to make sure that you only charge your light up shoes for the amount of time that is recommended by the manufacturer. If you do this, then you won’t have to worry about them catching on fire.
Can You Prevent Light Up Shoes From Catching?
While it is possible for light up shoes to catch on fire, there are a few things that you can do to prevent this from happening.
Buy Light Up Shoes From Reputable Companies
The most important thing is to only buy light up shoes from reputable companies that use high-quality materials in their products. This will help ensure that the shoes don’t overheat or catch on fire.
Some companies use inferior quality materials, which can make the shoes more likely to overheat or catch on fire.
So be careful before buying shoes, some are cheaply made and might not be as safe.
Store The Shoes In A Cool, Dry Place
Another way to prevent your light up shoes from catching is to store them in a cool, dry place. This will help keep the batteries from overheating and causing a fire.
This is important because if the batteries overheat, they can cause a fire. If you store your light up shoes in a cool, dry place, then this won’t be an issue.
Charge Them For The Recommended Amount of Time
Make sure that you only charge your light up shoes for the amount of time that is recommended by the manufacturer. This will help prevent them from overheating and catching on fire.
If you do this, then you won’t have to worry about your shoes catching on fire. Do leave your light up shoes on charge throughout the weekend or overnight.
Keep Them Out Of The Sun
If you live in a warm climate, then keeping your light up shoes out of the sun is a good idea. If they are left in the sun for too long, it can cause them to overheat and catch on fire. This can be caused by batteries overheating or even from the wiring in the shoes.
Wear Light Up Shoes That Are in Good Condition
Another way to prevent light up shoes from catching on fire is by making sure that they are in good condition.
This means that you should regularly check the wiring in the shoes, as well as the batteries, and replace any worn-out parts. If you do this, then your shoes won’t catch on fire as easily.
Light up shoes can catch fire due to many different factors including poor quality materials, worn-out batteries or wiring, small wiring, and more.
The best way to avoid this is by buying reputable light up shoe brands, storing them in a cool and dry place, charging them for the recommended amount of time, and keeping them out of direct sunlight.
If you do this, your shoes will be much less likely to catch on fire. So don’t worry, your light up shoes are safe.