Installing LED lights can be fun and easy to do when working on a flat surface, but what about when you need to go around a corner? This can be a bit tricky as the LED strip light can actually break if care is not taken.
LED lights are great for accent lighting and task lighting. They are also very versatile because they can be cut to fit any space.
This makes them perfect for use in places where other types of lights would not be able to go, such as under cabinets, in tight spaces, and around corners.
How To Install LED Lights Around A Corner
When installing LED lights around a corner, there are a few methods you can use to get this done.
1. Use Pre-bent LED Strip Lights
The first method is to use an LED light strip that is pre-bent. This is the method I will recommend for anyone who does not want to risk ruining their LED strip lights.
These are available in a variety of shapes, such as L-shaped, U-shaped, and J-shaped. This makes it easy to install them around corners without having to worry about breaking the strips.
You can find these online or at your local hardware store. This method is very simple as all you need to do is peel off the adhesive backing and stick it onto the surface and use the connectors provided to join the two pieces together.
If you want to use this method, make sure that you get the correct size for your needs, as they are not all created equal.
Make sure that you clean the surface before applying the strip lights to get the best possible bond.
The advantages to using pre-bent LED strip lights are that they are very easy to install, there is no risk of breaking them, and they come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
The disadvantages are that they can be more expensive than regular LED strip lights, and you may not be able to find the exact shape or size that you need for your project.
2. Physically Pleat The LED Strip Light Over
This is the most common method used to install LED strip lights around a corner. This method works best on LED strip lights that do not have waterproofing or a silicone seal.
Just to be upfront with you, I would only recommend using this method on high-quality LED strip lights, and poor-quality LED light strips tend to break easily.
You will need to pleat the LED strip lights a couple of times to create the perfect angle that goes around the corner.
In some cases, you would have to remove some of the chips on the LED strip lights, so it is easier to pleat or fold them. You can remove the chips by using a soldering iron to set them free.
You can also use a sharp knife or Exacto knife to set it free from the chips free from the light strip.
The upside to this method is that it is very easy to use, but you also have to be very careful as a lot of your LED lights can stop working. You should only try this on very good quality LED strip lights.
3. Cut The LED Strip Light Into Smaller Sections
This method is best used when you have a waterproof LED strip light, and it can also be used on any other type of LED strip light.
You will need to cut the LED strip light into smaller sections that can go around the corner without breaking.
For this method, you will need to use a pair of scissors to make the cuts. You can also use a sharp knife or razor blade, but they might not be as precise.
The easiest part of this method is cutting the strips, but the tricky part is actually being able to join them back together so they work correctly.
You will need to use a soldering iron and some solder to join the strips back together. Make sure to do a test fit before you actually solder them, as you might have to make some adjustments.
The upside of this method is that it is very versatile and will be suitable for most corner and installation situations.
4. Use A Corner Mount
This is the best method to use if you want a professional-looking installation. This method is also the most expensive, but it will give you the best results.
For this method, you will need to purchase a corner mount. These are available in a variety of materials, such as plastic and metal.
You will need to drill a hole in the corner mount and then screw it into place. Once it is secure, you can then attach the LED strip light to the corner mount.
This method is very easy to use and gives you a very professional-looking installation. The downside is that it can be expensive, and you might not be able to find the perfect corner mount for your project.
Important Tips For Mounting LED Strip Lights Around Corners
When it comes to mounting LED strip lights around corners, there are a few things you need to keep in mind to get the best results.
- Make sure that the surface is clean before you apply the strip lights. This will help to create a better bond and prevent the strip lights from falling off.
- If you are using pre-bent LED strip lights, make sure that they are the correct size for your project. If they are too big or small, they will not fit correctly and will not look as good.
- Always test-fit the LED strip lights before you apply them permanently. This will help you to make sure that they are the right size and that they fit correctly.
- If you are using a corner mount, make sure that it is secure before you attach the strip lights. When cutting LED strip lights, always use a sharp knife or scissors. This will help to prevent damage to the strip and will give you a clean cut.
- When mounting LED strip lights, you will want to make sure that they are not in a place where they can be easily damaged.
- This means avoiding putting them in high-traffic areas or places where they may be subject to bumps or knocks.
- It is also important to make sure that the surface you are mounting them on is clean and free of debris. This will help to ensure that the adhesive backing on the LED strip lights will stick properly.
- If you need to cut your LED strip lights, it is important to do so in a straight line. You can use a pair of scissors or a sharp knife to do this. Just be sure not to damage the strip lights as this could cause them to stop working.
- When cutting LED strip lights, you will want to make sure that you are cutting at the correct spot. There are markings on the strip that indicate where it can be cut.
- If you cut in the wrong place, it could cause the LED lights to malfunction.
Use these tips to get the best results when mounting LED strip lights around corners. With a little bit of planning and effort, you can get a professional-looking installation that will last for years. Thanks for reading!
Please feel free to share this article with your friends and family if you found it helpful. Also, don’t forget to follow us on social media for more tips and tricks about LED strip lights! Thank you!
Q: Can I cut LED strip lights?
A: Yes, you can cut LED strip lights. There are markings on the strip that indicate where it can be cut. Just be sure to use a sharp knife or scissors, so you don’t damage the strip.
Q: What is the best way to mount LED strip lights around corners?
A: The best way to mount LED strip lights around corners will depend on your specific project. Some methods you can use include using pre-bent strips, soldering the strips together, or using a corner mount.
Q: Where should I mount LED strip lights?
A: You will want to avoid mounting LED strip lights in high-traffic areas or places where they may be subject to bumps or knocks. It is also important to make sure that the surface you are mounting them on is clean and free of debris. This will help to ensure that the adhesive backing on the LED strip lights will stick properly.