Did you know that there are a number of reasons why LED lights might turn on by themselves? It’s definitely not a ghost or a spirit. So do not get spooked! In this blog post, we will discuss what those reasons are and how to fix them.
So why do my led strip lights turn on by themselves? There are a few things that can cause you led strip lights to turn on by themselves;
- Power Fluctuation
- Interference With Other Infrared Devices
- Factory Defect Or Light Malfunctioning
- The Power Source Is Not Working Properly
- Occupancy Sensors
- Power Supply Or Transformer Older Than 5 Years
- Some Led Strip Lights Are Programmed To
- Led Strip Light Controller Failing
Now that we have the list of all the possible reasons why led strip lights turn on by themselves, let’s now get into the details.
1. Power Fluctuation
Usually, when there is a power outage and the power comes back on, some led lights turn on by themselves to signal the power has returned.
This still happens in some cases even when the lights are turned off but still connected to a live power source.
It is normal for some led lights to turn on by themselves after a power outage and will remain that way until the light switch is flipped again.
However, if the lights turn on by themselves even when there hasn’t been a power outage or maintenance work, it could be an indication of a power fluctuation.
A power fluctuation can be caused by problems with the breaker or wiring issues in your home’s electrical system.
If you notice that your led lights consistently turn on by themselves, it could be a sign of electrical problems. In this case, an electrician should be called to inspect your home’s electrical system.
2. Interference With Other Infrared Devices
This is usually the case for led strip lights that use infrared technology.
Infrared is a form of electromagnetic radiation, and this type of light can interfere with other infrared devices nearby.
If you have other infrared devices nearby, they might be the reason why your led strip lights are turning on by themselves.
The most common example is a tv remote – as some buttons on your tv remote will sometimes be able to turn on your led strip lights as well.
A remote control emits infrared light, and this can affect the performance of led strip lights that use an infrared controller.
In other cases, the infrared controller emits a light signal that can interfere with other lights in your home.
In this case, it might not be necessary to replace the led strip lights that turn on by themselves. Instead, you could purchase an infrared repeater or use a remote control to change channels and turn the lights on and off.
3. Factory Defect Or Light Malfunctioning
This is usually the case for led strip lights with a faulty controller or malfunctioning parts.
If your led strip lights turn on by themselves, it might be a case of faulty wiring or damaged parts.
In this case, replacing the led strip lights is probably your best option since it may be too costly to repair the controller or replace the malfunctioning parts.
However, it’s important to note that your led lights might turn on by themselves even when there’s nothing wrong with them. If this is the case, you can go to the Troubleshooting center of your product and see how to solve the issue.
In most cases, you can turn your led lights off and then on again to solve the problem. And in some other cases, you might have to restart your device.
4. The Power Source Is Not Working Properly
A common reason for led strip light not turning on properly is sometimes due to a faulty power source.
If your power source is not working properly, it can cause the lights to turn on by themselves.
This can happen for a number of reasons, such as:
- The power source needs to be plugged in properly.
- If your lights are battery-powered, make sure the batteries have been put in correctly and that they’re fully charged.
- If your light is powered by a power supply, check to see if there is enough output for all the lights.
- If you have multiple strips being powered from the same power source, check to see if they all have a different input voltage.
- Make sure the fuse isn’t blown in your light’s power source.
- If your light is connected to a dimmer switch, then it will need to be replaced with one that has more wattage.
If you have a constant live wire powering your lights and it frequently trips, then this can cause the led strip light to turn on.
In some cases, this may be a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker. Check these first and if they are not the issue, then you need to call an electrician.
If your power source is working properly but strip lights still won’t turn on or turn on by themselves, then it may be time to replace the light bulbs.
5. Occupancy Sensors
There are many reasons why your lights may be turning on by themselves. It could also be that they are responding to an external trigger, like occupancy sensors.
Occupancy sensors are devices that monitor an area for activity. They can be either passive or active infrared (like motion detectors). When occupancy is detected, the lights will turn on.
These sensors can be fitted throughout a building’s lighting system to automatically control exterior and interior lights.
If you have occupancy sensors, check to make sure they are not pointed at each other.
Also, be aware that some systems will have a sensor on each light so check these are not pointed at other lights.
If you have occupancy sensors, but your strip lights still turn on by themselves even when there are no occupancy sensors, then you may want to replace them with a different kind of sensor or have them adjusted.
6. Power Supply Or Transformer Older Than 5 Years
If your led strip lights are turning on by themselves, one of the reasons could be that the power supply is older than five years.
If you have a power supply that is older than five years, replace it as this is an indication that it has a higher chance of failing.
If you have a newer power supply that’s not older than five years, then check to make sure it is connected properly. Also, check for loose wires or any signs of heat damage.
If there is no sign of overheating, but the power supply has been replaced recently, you might want to call an electrician as this could be a sign of something larger.
7. Some Led Strip Lights Are Programmed To
Your lights may be turned on because they have been programmed to do so at certain times during the day.
These features are often built-in so that the led strip lights turn on according to daylight hours.
What this means is these lights have sensors that allow them to turn on when it gets dark and vice versa.
If your lights are turned on without being switched, this is likely the reason why.
You can do a simple test by turning them off and then timing to see how long they stay on.
If the interval within which they turn on themselves is consistent, then the light has been programmed to do so or default setting.
In most cases, the programming is done through a handheld remote controller or an infrared receiver.
If these are not working, then the led strip lights might turn on by themselves because of a malfunction.
To stop this from happening, follow these steps:
- Check your light’s manual for instructions on how to change its settings; it should tell you if it has a timer function or not (if it does, then go ahead and disable any timers).
- If your light doesn’t have a timer function but is set up with an auto-off feature after 1 hour of use, you can turn this off:
- Check your light’s manual to see if there is a ‘reset’ button and press it; that should set the lights back to factory defaults.
- Now you will need to reenter any settings that you had previously programmed into the strip light, so check your work notes from when you initially installed them.
- If you’ve lost your notes, then just use trial and error to set the lights back up.
8. Led Strip Light Controller Failing
Another reason why your led strip lights may turn on by themselves is because of a failed controller or remote control.
If you have a controller you use to turn on or off your led strip lights, check that it is working properly.
If you notice the controller has been damaged or has not worked for a while, then replace your remote control.
If you have multiple lights, make sure each one is on a separate controller. This will help prevent the other controllers from turning them on or off.
If your controller is working properly and still the lights turn on by themselves, then it may be time to replace them with a new set.
How To Prevent Led Strip Lights From Turning On Themselves
I have already hinted at a couple of ways to prevent your led strip lights from turning on by themselves. Below is a list of other things you can do to prevent this from happening.
- If your led strip lights are turning on at odd times, the first thing you should do is check the power supply to make sure it isn’t faulty.
- If you have checked this and your lights are still turning on randomly, then it is time to replace the controller.
- Newer controllers come with a built-in timer so that your led strip lights don’t stay on for too long.
- You can also get rid of any controllers that are not working properly and replace them with new ones. This will help prevent your led strip lights from turning on in the middle of the night.
- Regularly service your occupancy sensors to make sure they are working properly and not causing any problems.
- Always turn off your led strip lights when you leave the room or go to bed.
- If you have a control panel in your hallway, make sure this isn’t left on when the room is empty or turned off at night.
- Familiarize yourself with the programming of your led strip lights and customize them to suit the way you want them to work.
- Make sure you are not overloading the power supply.
- If possible, use a separate control panel for each light; this way you can make sure they are turned on or off properly.
- Use different controllers for different rooms or make sure each controller can control a maximum of two lights.
- When you first buy your led strip lights, configure them and record the settings on paper for future reference.
- You can also make notes on the settings you change after you install your led strip lights; this way, if they start randomly turning on by themselves, you will know what needs to be done.
- When it gets confusing, reset your lights back to factory settings.
- If you have done all of this and your led strip lights are still turning on by themselves, then it is time to replace them.
This article set out to answer the question: why do my led strip lights turn on by themselves?
If you have followed all of these tips and your led strip lights are still turning on by themselves, then it is probably time to replace them with the new one you can find at Amazon. Thanks for reading.