When it comes to smart LED strip lights, there are a lot of things to consider. One of the most important factors is how long the lights will last. In this article, we will explore how long LED strip lights typically last, and some tips on how to extend their lifespan.
So how long does a typical LED strip light last? The lifespan of a smart LED strip light depends on a lot of factors, such as the quality of the smart LEDs, the type of strip light, and how often it is used. However, on average, LED strip lights will last around 50,000 hours. That’s a long time! But there are ways to extend that lifespan like using a dimmer switch.
In the rest of the article, I’m going to share with you the details on what smart led strip lights are, the factors that determine how long smart led strip lights last, and some important tips on how to get the most out of your LED strip lights.
What Are Smart LED Strip Lights?
A smart LED strip light isn’t just a regular piece of plastic with LEDs on it, but rather a sophisticated electrical system that includes circuitry and software.
Smart led strip lights are the most versatile and flexible lighting fixtures available. These intelligent lights can be used in a variety of locations for different purposes, including home improvement projects, outdoor entertainment areas, and more.
One of the key benefits of smart LED strip lights is that they are extremely energy efficient. They use significantly less power than traditional light fixtures, which can result in big savings on your electricity bill.
Factors That Determine How Long Smart Led Strip Lights Last
The lifespan of a smart LED strip light is determined by several factors, including:
The Quality Of The Smart LED Lights
The quality of the smart led light will have will go a long way in determining its lifespan. The better the quality, the longer it will last.
You can easily tell if an LED light is high-quality by looking at how many diodes are used for each string and whether or not they’re all facing outwards (as opposed to pointing inward).
Additionally, some smart led lights have a built-in heat sink, which helps dissipate the heat and extends the lifespan of the LEDs.
Another dimension in terms of quality is the brand you buy. Not all LED lights are created equal, and some brands have a better reputation than others. For example, one of the well-known and reputable brands for smart led strip lights is Philips.
The Type of Smart Led Strip Light
Another thing that determines how long a smart LED strip light will last is the type of strip light. There are three main types:
- Single Color Strip Lights
Single color strip lights are the simplest type of LED light. They only emit one color, which is typically red, green, or blue. These lights usually have a lifespan of around 50,000 hours.
- RGB Strip Lights
RGB strip lights are more complex than single-color strip lights. They emit three colors – red, green, and blue – which can be combined to create millions of different colors. The lifespan of RGB strip light is usually around 30,000 hours. RGB (red-green-blue) strip lights are more complex than single-color strip lights.
- Addressable Strip Lights
The most complex type of smart LED strip light is the addressable strip light. This type has individually controlled LEDs, which means that you can change the color, brightness, and pattern of each LED. Addressable strip lights usually have a lifespan of around 25,000 hours.
The Frequency of Use
How often the smart LED strip light is used will also determine how long it lasts. If it’s used frequently, then it will likely have a shorter lifespan than if it’s used infrequently.
As you may have noticed, most smart led lights’ lifespan is measured in hours and so the longer it is used, the shorter it will last.
For example, a strip of smart LED lights that are turned on for 12 hours per day and not used at all during the night would have an estimated lifespan of around 50,000 hours (since they’re only being used half as much), whereas if these same smart led lights were left on 24/24 hours per day then their lifespan would be reduced to around 25,000 hours (since they’re being used twice as much).
The Temperature of The Environment
The temperature of the environment will also affect how long a smart LED strip light lasts. If it’s in an area that gets too hot or cold, then this could reduce its lifespan.
The ideal temperature for smart led strip lights is between 20 and 30 degrees Celsius (68 to 86 Fahrenheit). Anything above this range may cause damage over time, while anything below could make the lights less efficient or even stop working altogether.
How To Get The Most Out Of Your Smart Led Strip Lights
The good news is that there are several ways to get the most out of your LED strip lights.
- One of them is to install a dimmer switch, which will allow you to adjust the brightness and extend its lifespan.
- Another way is by using a controller, which will give you more flexibility in terms of the colors and patterns that you can create.
- Make sure to keep your LED strip lights clean. Dust and dirt can build up over time and reduce the light output. Use a soft cloth to gently clean the surface of the LEDs.
- Sensors can also be used to prolong the life of your LED strip lights. For example, a motion sensor can turn the light off when there is no one in the room. This will help conserve energy and extend the lifespan of your LEDs.
- Only use the lights when you need them. If possible, turn off your LED strip lights at night or when they are not in use.
- Never open the casing of your LED strip lights. This can damage the internal components and reduce their lifespan.
- Make sure your outdoor smart led strip lights are weather-proof or else they may not work in extreme weather conditions.
- Also, ensure your smart led strip lights have the right temperature around them.
- Make sure the apps you use for your lights are updated regularly so they don’t stop working.
- Make sure that you have enough power supply for all of the strips, otherwise, it could damage them and reduce their lifespan. There should be at least 20 amps on each strip.
- Use a surge protector if possible and make sure that you turn off the power before plugging in or unplugging any devices from your strip lights. Otherwise, it could damage them and reduce their lifespan.
- Make sure to only use the correct voltage for your LED strips (12V). Using anything higher or lower will damage them and reduce their lifespan.
- Always purchase smart led strip lights from top-quality brands. The Philips brand is one of the most well-known and reputable brands for smart led strip lights. Philips offers a wide variety of strip lights with different features, colors, and brightness levels. Their products are known for their high quality and long lifespan.
- If you go with RGB Strip Lights, then make sure to get the latest technology. RGB Strip Lights have come a long way in terms of quality and durability over the years. There are now many brands that offer high-quality addressable strip lights.
In conclusion, there are several factors that affect the lifespan of your LED Strip Lights. If you follow these tips, then it will help prolong their life and ensure they last as long as possible.
The most important thing is to regularly clean them so they don’t get too dirty or dusty over time because this can cause problems with electricity running through them which could damage your strip lights.
Also, be sure to use the correct voltage and wattage for your LED strips, and don’t try to overdo it with too many lights plugged in at once. Make sure to only buy from reputable brands like Philips that offer high-quality products with a long lifespan.
In order to get the most out of your LED strip lights, it’s important to be aware of all of these things. By following these tips, you can make sure that your smart LED strip lights last as long as possible.