You may have seen led strip lights on the side of a building or in a showroom. They are aesthetically pleasing and durable, which is why they are so popular.
But before you go out and buy all your led lights for your home, take some time to understand what type of fixtures should be used with these lights. In this article, I will talk about if you put led strip lights on wood surfaces.
Can you put led strip lights on wood? You can put led strip lights on wood surfaces that are smooth or non-porous but if you are expecting the led strip lights to last long term, make sure that the wood surface is finished. Also, you can use led strip lights on your wood surface provided the right adhesive is used.
Led strip lights are long strips of led lighting that come in various lengths. These lights are flexible and can easily be bent, cut, or mounted in any manner you choose.
They come in a variety of colors and variations, which means they can be used for almost anything from accent lighting to under cabinet lighting.
Led strip lights are used in a wide variety of applications, including commercial locations such as museums and restaurants, homes where they can be used for task lighting, and even automotive applications.
In more recent times led strip lights have been used to decorate homes by adding accent pieces such as letters or numbers to a wall.
They can be used as backlighting for cabinets, under the cabinet lighting, and even as outdoor accent lights.
Putting Led Strip Lights On Wood Surfaces
One of the most popular surfaces that led strip lights to get mounted on is wood surfaces like doors, beds, desks, and cabinets.
However, there are a few Do’s and don’ts that you need to know about before mounting these lights on your wood surfaces.
Using The Right Adhesive Is Key
The first thing you should know is that when mounting led strip lights to wood, the proper adhesive must be used.
For example, if you use an adhesive that is not meant for outdoor use on your wood surface, then you run the risk of damaging your led strip lights when they get wet.
It is important to know that not all adhesives are created equal. If you want your led strip lights to last longer on their wood surface, then you should use an adhesive that is designed for outdoor usage.
Clean Your Wood Surfaces Before Mounting Your Led Strip Light
One mistake that many people make when putting led strip lights on wood surfaces and other surfaces is failing to clean their surfaces before mounting the light.
If you are using the adhesive correctly, then your surface should be free of dirt and debris. However, if there are any pollutants on your surfaces when you mount your led strip lights, then these pollutants can cause the adhesive to fail.
This is why it is important for you to clean your surfaces before mounting your led strip lights to them.
For example, if you are using the adhesive on a piece of furniture or cabinets that have been stained, then you should wipe the entire surface down with a cloth that has been dampened in rubbing alcohol.
The purpose here is to remove all of the excess chemicals that are on your surface.
Use Drill Bit Suitable For The Type Of Wood
If you want to drill holes into your wood, it is best if you use a drill bit that is designed for wood.
Before mounting your led strip lights on wood, you should know what type of drill bit to use when drilling the holes for your screws.
If you do not use the right drill bit, then this can cause your wood to splinter. This is why it is important for you to use the right drill bit.
The type of wood that your led strip light is mounted on can also dictate what kind of screw should be used.
For example, if you are mounting the led strip lights on a piece of furniture that has been varnished, then you should use longer screws.
If you are mounting your led strip lights on a piece of furniture that has not been varnished, then shorter screws should be used.
Lastly, if you’re mounting on a very hardwood, then you should definitely use screws that are longer. Softer woods would, on the other hand, require shorter screws.
Don’t Mount Led Strip Lights On Unfinished Wood Surfaces
This is one of the biggest mistakes that people make when putting led strip lights on wood surfaces. For example, many people want to mount led strip lights on the bottom of their cabinets.
However, you should never mount these lights to unfinished wood surfaces like raw oak or plywood because the unfinished wood will absorb too much moisture from the adhesive and it could damage your lights over time.
If you have cabinets that are unfinished, then you should wait to finish them before mounting your led strip lights.
This will ensure that the adhesive has enough time to dry, which can prevent the adhesive from becoming too wet.
Don’t Mount On Rough Wooden Surfaces
In addition to mounting your led strip lights on unfinished wood surfaces, you should not mount them on rough wooden surfaces either.
For example, if you are mounting your led strip lights on a piece of furniture that has been distressed, then it is best to avoid any rough surfaces because this can cause the adhesive to fail.
So if your piece of furniture is not smooth, then it may be best for you to wait until they are refinished before mounting your led strip lights to them.
Don’t Mount Led Strip Lights on Wood That Has Been Coated In Paint Or Stain
If you are planning on mounting your led strip lights to a piece of furniture or cabinets that have been stained or painted, then it is best for you to clean them off with rubbing alcohol before you mount your led strip lights.
This will ensure that there are no residues left on the surface of the wood before you mount your led strip lights, which can cause the adhesive to fail.
In addition to rubbing alcohol, it is also a good idea for you to clean your surfaces with soap and water.
Soap will not only remove any residues on the surface of your furniture, but it will also leave a fresh and clean surface for you to mount your led strip lights on. Just make sure the surface to thoroughly dry.
How To Mount Led Strip Lights On Wood
- Wipe the wood with a damp cloth that has been rubbed in rubbing alcohol.
- If your led strip light does not come with adhesive, choose one that is suitable for wood like the Double-sided Foam Tape.
- Simply mark out where your led strip light will go and simply put them up and apply moderate pressure to secure it.
- If you have to use a drill, make sure to use a drill bit suitable for the type of wood surface you have.
- Determine where you want to mount your led strip lights on the wood and carefully measure it out.
- Use a pencil to mark the spots where you need to drill holes.
- Drill your holes and place your led strip lights in them making sure the light strip is facing the right direction.
- Use a pencil to mark where you want your holes for screws and drill them out making sure they are not too big.
- Use a screwdriver that is appropriate for the type of screws you’re using to secure your led strip lights in place.
Tips On Mounting Led Strip Lights On Wooden Surfaces
- You will need to make sure the strip is well protected from moisture and water damage because wood can hold a lot of moisture in it.
- It’s also important to make sure that the type of wood is not porous because some led lights are not damp or water rated and do not like water or moisture.
- So if you have an unfinished or engineered wood surfaces, then I would not recommend using led strip lights on it because the moisture can lead to mold growth and damage the led lights.
- If your wood is any type of pine, fir or yew, I would not recommend using led strip lights on it. These woods are very soft and do not hold up well to the heat of led strip lights.
- If you want a uniform look, then I would recommend that you use led strip lights that are the same color as your wood.
- This will give your wood a uniform look, which is perfect for furniture and cabinets.
- In addition to this, it’s important that you use the correct mounting tape for your led strip lights. The correct adhesive will ensure that the lights stay in place and do not fall off over time.
- So if you are looking to use led strip lights on freshly finished or freshly painted wood surfaces, then I would recommend that you wait until the paint or stain is dry or cure.
Q: Can LED strip lights be mounted to wood?
A: Yes they can, but you will need to make sure the type of wood is not porous because some led lights are not damp or water-rated and do not like water or moisture.
Q: Can you use led strip lights on newly stained or painted wood?
A: No, I would recommend waiting until the paint or stain is dry or cure to not damage the wood. This is important because fresh paint or stains can hold a lot of moisture in them and it could damage your led strip lights.
Q: What adhesive should I use for led strip lights on wood?
A: The best adhesive to use is Double-sided Foam Tape. Simply mark out where your led strip light will go and simply put them up and apply moderate pressure to secure it.
Q: Can you mount led strip lights on unfinished wood?
A: No, I would not recommend using led strip lights on unfinished or engineered wood surfaces. These types of woods are very soft and do not hold up well to the heat of led strip lights.